According to research ,poor sleep can cause immediate detrimental effects to your brain function,hormones,and exercise performance.If you want to maintain your health,you should try hard to get a good night’s sleep .
**Sleep and Health**
Sleeping properly can have negative effects to your exercise performance ,brain function and hormones.It can also cause weight gain and increase the the risks of disease in children and adults .In the past few decades the quality and quantity of our sleep has declined .Very few individuals get a good night’s sleep .
**How to get good sleep **
One of the essential part of optimizing your health and maintaining a healthy weight is to get restful sleep at night When you follow healthy sleeping habits ,your body is healthier and you feel better.Here are 14 easy ways to improve sleep.
- Increase your exposure to bright light during the day .Your body contains a natural clock – Your circadian rhythm. It helps you stay awake and tells your body when to sleep .Exposure to bright light or natural sunlight during the day and the duration and quality of sleep at night .
- Reduce exposure to blue light( visible light towards the blue end of the spectrum generated from the screen of an electronic device) in the evening .Exposure to blue light at night reduces hormones such as melatonin ,which help you relax and get deep sleep.Electronic devices such as computers and smartphones emit blue light and may interfere with your sleep.
- Avoid caffeine later in the day. Caffeine stimulates your nervous system and can prevent your body from relaxing at night .It can worsen your sleep quality significantly,especially if you must consume a large quantity in the evening or late afternoon.
- Reduce long naps during the day. Long naps during the day can negatively affect your sleep at night .If you want to nap during the day ,keep it short ,30 minutes or less.
- Try to get up and go to sleep at the same times every day.Irregular sleep patterns can alter your body’s circadian rhythm and melatonin levels deteriorating your level of sleep .
- Do not drink alcohol beverages at night .Alcohol can increase or cause snoring ,disrupted sleep patterns ,or sleep apnea .It can also disturb the production of melatonin at night ,which plays a key role in your body’s circadian rhythm
- Optimize the environment of your bedroom.To get good sleep ,optimize the environment of your bedroom by minimizing artificial lights and noise from devices such as alarm clocks
- Set a comfortable temperature for your bedroom .keeping it cool between 60 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit (about 17-18 C ) can help promote a healthy sleep .
- Do not eat a large meal late in the evening.
- Relax your mind before going to bed .One of the best healthy sleep habits is to have a pre-sleep routine that relaxes you you before going to bed .Relaxation techniques can improve the quality of your sleep and treat insomnia.
- Talk to your doctor to rule out any sleep problems .If you are consistently experiencing poor sleep ,talk to your doctor to rule out any sleep problems.
- Get regular exercise during the day .It can improve all aspects of your sleep and may even reduce insomnia .Make sure to exercise most days of the week .
- Get yourself a comfortable bed ,pillow and mattress ,as it can also affect your sleep quality .
- Do not sleeping wearing a bra at night .
The National Sleep Foundation issued the following recommendations for the amount of sleep different age groups need:
- Newborns (0-3 months):14 to 17 hours per day
- Infants (4 to 11 months): 12 to 15 hours per day
- Toddlers(1 to 2 years : 11 to 14 hours per day
- Preschoolers (3-5 years ):10 to 13 hours per day
- Children of school age ( 6 to 13 years ):9 to 11 hours per day
- Teenagers (14 to 17 years ):8 to 10 hours per day
- Adults (18 to 64 years ) :7 to 9 hours per day
- Older adults (65 years or older): 7 to 8 hours per day
However ,talk with your doctor if you are consistently sleeping badly to rule out any problems.